Janet’s lifetime of legal experience offered a uniquely international and deep understanding of all areas of estate planning, with emphasis on complex tax issues, business succession planning, estate and trust administration, charitable giving, international tax, non-profits and business law. She began her legal career in London, England, working in the areas of international tax law and expatriate tax planning. She continued her international tax work in Moscow helping foreign business representatives seek the proper application of newly passed Soviet tax rules. Upon returning to the United States, she practiced in Washington, D.C., Maine, and Florida. Janet was involved in a wide variety of organizations throughout several counties, with primary emphasis in Volusia and Flagler counties.
Janet is admitted to The Florida Bar.
She earned her J.D. degree, from Yale Law School. She holds a B.A. degree, summa cum laude from Vanderbilt University.
Janet is fluent and practiced law in three languages, English, French, and Spanish, and is conversant in Russian. In addition, she has been published both nationally and internationally.
- J.D, Yale Law School
- B.A., summa cum laude, Vanderbilt University
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Member, Executive Committee Member and Secretary, Hispanic Chamber of Metro Orlando
- Member of Board of Directors, Boys & Girls Club of Volusia/Flagler Counties, Inc.
- Co-Chair, Planned Giving Committee, Current Member, Board of Directors of the Florida Hospital DeLand Foundation
- Past President, Seaside Music Theater
- Past President, Volusia County Trusts & Estates Council
- Past President, Women’s Network of Volusia County; Pro Bono Counsel, O’Neill Foundation for Community Health, Inc.
- Past Executive Committee and Board member, United Way Women’s Initiative
- Past Advisory Board, Union of Ibero-American Municipalities (Stetson University)
- Previous Supporters of International Baccalaureate Students (SIBS)
- Previous DeLand High School Business Partners
- Past Board of Trustees, Seaside Music Theater
- Past School Board of St. Barnabas Episcopal School
- Previous Stakeholders Committee (Concurrency), Volusia County School Board
- Previous Citizens Advisory Committee, 2003 Volusia County Schools Superintendent Search Rotary Club of Daytona Beach
- Previous Board of Directors, Daytona Beach Community College Foundation
- Past Board of Directors, Central Florida Legal Services
- Past Board of Directors, Easter Seals of Volusia County
- Past Board of Directors, Cultural Arts Center of DeLand
- Past Board of Directors, The House Next Door, DeLand
- Past member, Planning Committee, United Way Financial Symposium
- Past member, Planned Giving Committee, American Cancer Society
- Past member, Stetson Community Health Project
- Past Professionalism Committee member, Real Property Probate and Trust Section of the Florida Bar
- Past member, World Affairs Council of Maine
- Past member, Goodwill Industries Portland, Maine.
RECOGNITIONS & AWARDS
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV
- Don Quijote Award for Professional of the Year, 2016
- Top 25 Influential Hispanics of Central Florida in 2016 (Vision Magazine)
- Top Rated Taxation Attorney, by ALM, 2014
- Unsung Hero Award, presented at the Hispanic Achievement & Business Leadership Awards, 2013 for pro bono legal services and contributions to the Hispanic community
- Mujer Destacada Award for Outstanding Hispanic Female Professional of 2013 awarded by La Prensa media
- Above and Beyond Award, presented by the Volusia County Bar Association and Pro Bono Program of Mid-Florida, September 2007 for pro bono legal services to the underprivileged.