John’s extensive experience in tax controversy, tax disputes, civil and criminal tax matters and tax litigation spans a lifetime. Practicing for decades, his background includes serving as a United States Army Judge Advocate General Corps, Captain (JAG), as trial counsel for the Florida Department of Professional Regulation, and as an adjunct instructor in Legal Writing at the University of Florida and in the Legal Studies Program at the University of Central Florida. He is a frequent speaker and author on a multitude of legal topics. His long history of professional accomplishments includes leadership positions held with the Orange County Bar Association, the Florida Bar, the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice, and the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel.
John is admitted to The Florida Bar and is also admitted to practice in federal court before the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the U.S. Supreme Court, and the U.S. Tax Court. He has been an AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell for 25 years, and this year John received recognition for practicing law for 50 years.
John is a graduate of the University of Florida, for both his B.A. and J.D. degrees.
In his spare time, John likes to watch college football, supporting his Florida Gators. John also enjoys fishing, collecting fossil shark teeth, collecting old fishing tackle, and setting up dioramas of historic battles.
- State of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- J.D., cum laude, University of Florida College of Law
- Law Review: University of Florida Law Review, Member, Board of Editors
- B.A., University of Florida
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Member, The Florida Bar
- Member, The Florida Bar Tax Section
- Member, Federal Bar Association, National Delegate
- Past Chairman, Orange County Bar Association, Law and Education Committee and the Tax Section
- Past Vice Chairman, Orange County Bar Association, Law and Education Committee and the Tax Section Speakers Bureau
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Complex Crimes Committee and Taxation Section
- Member, Civil and Criminal Penalties Committee
- Past Chairman of the Board, Downtown Branch of the YMCA
- Past Chairman of the Dade Battlefield Society
RECOGNITIONS & AWARDS
- Top Civil Tax Litigation Attorney, Orlando Life Magazine, 2010-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV